Tuesday, September 30, 2014

A Month in Review: September


Since today is the last day of September, I figured it would be the perfect time to do an update. 

Med School
This is what consumes most of my days. I had my first unit exam which went really well, and I'm prepping for round two coming up in less than two weeks. I'm taking pathology, pharmacology, microbiology, immunology, and evidence-based medicine (sort of a statistics class - aka not my favorite). Our units are broken up by systems so all of our classes focus in on one body system and cover diseases, drugs, etc. that affect that system.  This unit covers the vascular system, joints, and dermatology. I haven't started boards studying yet but my first board exam is definitely on my radar since its coming up at the beginning of May! 

I'm still working at a clinic for refugees every other week and doing some advising for the first years as part of a learning community we have on my campus. 

The best part about second year is that it's focused on diseases and how to treat them. I'm no longer studying biochemical pathways (yawn) - this year is more what I imagined med school would be like.  The hardest part is the amount of material. What they say is true - it's like drinking from a fire hydrant. Who knew there could be so many things that can go wrong?! 

The more time I spend learning about medicine, the more I realize how much I love it and whenever I feel overwhelmed I remind myself how lucky I am to have this opportunity to make such a big difference in people's lives. I seriously can't imagine doing anything else. That's my sales pitch, medicine - do it! 

Everything Else
My free-time is pretty variable. After exams I try to take it easy and enjoy the slower pace. I have more time for little weekend outings, date nights, getting together with friends, and working on projects. My current project is designing my work space/desk. You can check out my pinterest board to see what's inspiring me. 

I'm getting so excited for the upcoming three-day weekend following my exam. Spencer and I are taking full advantage of the time off and planning a trip. We're still working out the details, but its sure to include lots of fall color! 

Hope your September was just as good or better!


No comments:

Post a Comment