Monday, August 10, 2015

Medical Monday: OB/GYN Clerkship Review



I just finished up my second clerkship and I started my third one last week. I've been MIA for the past few weeks, but I wanted to get some blogging in before the hospital swallows me up again. I plan on doing a post about Family Medicine and Step 1 studying as well, but first I wanted to write about my experience in OB/GYN while it's still really fresh.

My OB/GYN clerkship was separated into a week and a half on OB and three weeks on GYN. The hospital I worked at is a level IV hospital which means it provides care for the highest risk mothers and babies. That being said, I saw a lot of pregnancies complicated by chronic diseases. Most of the women I worked with had either gestational diabetes or gestational hypertension. I seemed to get paired up with some of the sickest patients too - not by choice, but just by random selection. The first patient I ever followed ended up staying at the hospital for over a week because she had so many complications after delivery. Other patients had pre-eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura, and other rare genetic diseases. There were also a lot of patients whose care was complicated by drug and alcohol use during pregnancy which added a whole new level of complexity.

As a medical student, I was mainly responsible for triaging new patients, presenting patients to the residents, and assisting during the deliveries. Triaging patients consisted of going through a focused history and physical exam to assess the soon-to-be moms before presenting each patient to the resident doctors. We also signed up to help out with C-sections that were scheduled throughout the day. I scrubbed in on a lot of C-sections and was able to be involved in most of the surgeries. During one of my first C-sections I actually got to close up part of the abdominal fascia, which totally caught me off guard but was really exciting. Most of the time though, I did more mundane things during the surgeries. I've basically become an expert at retracting (opening up the surgical field by using instruments to pull the tissue out of the way) and if you need someone to cut suture, I'm your girl.

The GYN portion of the clerkship was by far my favorite part. I had this preconceived idea that GYN was all about Pap smears and pelvic exams, but I was shocked to find that a big part of GYN is surgery. Surgery was the biggest part my GYN rotation. The majority of the surgeries I scrubbed into were hysterectomies and treatments for incontinence, but I also observed minor procedures like LEEPs, colposcopies, and dilation and curettages. Going into OB/GYN, I didn't anticipate that I would like it, but I really enjoyed my experience in GYN and could actually see myself doing an OB/GYN residency and then going on to do a fellowship in something like Gynecologic Oncology or Urogynecology. I'm nowhere near making up my mind yet, but it's definitely something I'll be considering when it comes time to make the big decision!

8 comments:

  1. OB/GYN has never been something I was considering, but thanks for the reminder to keep an open mind. Glad you had a good experience. And I would love a post on step 1 study suggestions! Trying to figure that out now.

    hannah-ever-after.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll make sure to get that one up soon since I've had a few people ask me about it! Third-year is definitely eye-opening. I'm finding that I know very little about each specialty until I'm actually in the midst of the rotation. It's fun to learn so many new things though!

      Delete
  2. Who knew you were such a fancy blogger! Just randomly came across this :)
    Mine isn't quite as luxurious as yours but

    www.dreamingpeds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vee!! It's so crazy that you found my blog! I had no idea you blogged either - so exciting!

      Delete
  3. Love your blog!! I'm a third year too- Ob/gyn is up next! Glad to hear that you enjoyed it :)

    http://agirlandherwhitecoat.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I hope you enjoy your rotation as much as I did :)

      Delete
  4. Hello! I stumbled upon your instagram page first (I'm on this "follow as many medical students/interns/residents as possible" spree lol) and then took a look at your blog. I am currently shadowing an OB/GYN but I've only seen the Obstetrics part so I am definitely looking forward to seeing the Gynecological part sometime soon. I've seen a few c-sections and natural births but I'm still hooked. It hasnt gotten old to me yet! Anyway, this post gives me a small intro to the Gynecological aspect I'm missing out on for now, thank you so much for posting!
    by the way, I'm pre-med if you haven't guessed. hope to hear from you soon!

    www.charliemel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa! Sorry for the delay - sometimes I miss comments on older posts! Glad to hear that you're enjoying OB/GYN since that's at the top of my list right now! Thanks for stopping in - I always love to meet other women interested in medicine :)

      Delete