I think this is the first turtleneck I've owned since grade school. Back then, I remember HATING them. I don't know exactly what my issue with them was, but I can distinctly remember crying to my mom when she would incorporate a turtle neck shirt into my outfit. Fast-forward to today, now I'm obsessed with the resurgence of turtlenecks/mock-neck shirts and dresses. Living in the northeast during the winter can make for some bitterly cold days. Having the extra coverage is just what I need to keep warm, and I absolutely love the classic look.
This past week was the start of my psychiatry rotation and I'm really enjoying it. I get the opportunity to work on the addiction service which is a pretty unique experience. I spend 5 weeks running my own psychotherapy sessions and detoxing patients who are trying to take back control of their lives. My patients come from all different walks of life and struggle with many different addictions ranging from alcohol to heroin to food addiction. The most difficult thing about the rotation so far has been understanding that my job isn't to fix these individual's lives, it's to empower them to free themselves. I really don't do anything profound. My job is to ask simple questions and support my patient's during their journey. I didn't anticipate feeling so deeply for each person. Some of the stories they share with me are absolutely heartbreaking, and as much as I know I can't fix the things that have hurt them, it's humbling to think that just by listening and caring I may be helping them in some small way. One of the many reasons practicing medicine is such a privilege.
Sale alert! My turtleneck sweater is on sale at J Crew Factory - highly recommend it (especially at such a good price!).




Such a cute professional outfit! Like you, I haven't worn a turtleneck since I was very little because I absolutely hate them...choking! But I also hated tights when I was little and now wear them all the time. I've been loving the look recently so I may need to give them a go.
ReplyDeletePsychiatry sounds fascinating...good luck with your rotation!
Thanks Brianna! :)
DeleteI have the same aversion to turtlenecks. I didn't like that they were super tight around your neck. The resurgence into today's life appears to be a more relaxed version. Your neck can breathe! I really like that and the outfit that you're wearing too :D
ReplyDeleteRoxi - www.goldenpolkadots.blogspot.com
Thanks! Hahaha, yes no choking here!
DeleteWhat an interesting rotation! I kind of hated my psych rotation - it was all outpatient, and I really just shadowed the whole four weeks. It was not very educational or interesting :/
ReplyDeleteSo sorry you're psych rotation wasn't a great experience! General outpatient seems like it could be boring at times. Especially if the majority of patients are there for follow-up. My rotation is technically outpatient too, but deals with acute problems relating to detox and withdrawal so it doesn't get boring (thankfully!).
Delete