Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Creating a Professional Style





This week marks the start of my last unit as a first year. Last week was absolutely wonderful. Spencer had classes all last week so our trip to Pittsburgh was just a weekend venture. The rest of my week was spent catching up on things I've been putting off until after my exam as well as catching up with friends and preparing for the last few weeks of school. 
This shirt was one of my J. Crew sale rack finds. I instantly fell in love with the bright colors and delicate pattern. One of the hardest things about dressing professionally as a medical student is the fact that you're always working with a white coat. While some doctors and other healthcare professionals don't have to wear their white coat if they work in an office, medical students are always expected to show up dressed in a white coat. This obviously rules out blazers and cardigans as staple items. My solution is to invest in eye-catching pieces that will stand out under the white coat. A word of caution though - make sure to dress appropriately for whatever specialty you're working in. I'd recommend wearing more conservative pieces on your first rotation in a specific area. First impressions are important, and while a statement necklace may be fine to wear while rotating with a dermatologist, it may be best to go with something more classic while spending time in the emergency department. There are lots of other ways to spice up you're white coat too! 

Textures: Play around with textures like silk, chiffon, and lace - even dress pants come in all sorts of textures!

Patterns: Stripes are always classic, and one of my current obsessions is herringbone. Also look for floral, watercolor, checker, polka dot, and chevron. 

Scale: This is related to prints and describes the size of the pattern. The size of the pattern can dramatically change how our eyes interpret it. For example, large vs. small polka dots. 

Colors: Bright and vibrant colors, pastels, and eye-catching color combos are some fun ways to work some color into your outfit.

Accessories: Necklaces, earrings, and belts are some of my favorites. I avoid bracelets and watches as well as large rings because of how hands-on medicine is. 

Shoes: My collection of flats is constantly expanding. Classic black or tan are a necessity but leopard and bright colors are lots of fun to work with. I avoid heels for most clinical experiences because, although lovely, its a disservice to your patients if your attention isn't 100% on them because your feet are killing you 

Thanks for reading and hope this helps to spark some creativity! 

7 comments:

  1. Great post! I really love that shirt too, definitely catches the eye :)

    I would love to get more advice about flats for clinical rotations. I just can't figure out how to make them comfortable enough (without putting on 20 band aids on my feet) and a lot of brands trade comfort for style, which I don't think is fair. Suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding comfortable flats is always a challenge - especially if you're trying to find them at a good price point!

      In terms of comfort, the two problems I encounter are flats with stiff backs that cut into my ankles and flats with barely-there arch support. I try to stick with flats that are higher quality, like Nine West or Steve Madden (Marshalls is a lifesaver), but even some of these can do a number on my ankles. Knowing this, I like to get the padded heel grips to keep the back of the shoe away from ankle. That usually works well :) A lot of times too, the back of the shoe loosens up with wear. Try walking around your house with some socks on with the flats - this can help speed up the process!

      I totally agree with you in that even the higher quality brands NEVER seem to consider arch support. Again, the only solution I've found are the arch support inserts you can buy at the drug store.

      When I have a little bit more spending money, I'm hoping I'll find some brands that are both stylish and comfortable, but for now I'm forced to spend a couple bucks more on shoe inserts to make sure my feet make it through the day in one piece!

      Hope this helps! :)

      Delete
  2. I love how vibrant that blouse is. I would look great styled casually with blue shorts and neutral accessories too. And great tips!...I'm definitely more of a necklace and earrings kind of girl myself. It's always a pain trying to avoid getting bracelets wet, then dry them, I rarely even wear them now...if I find any good flats, I'll be sure to let you know. I'm always looking myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ele! Love the outfit idea - perfect for summer. Now I'm going to have to keep and eye out for some blue shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blouse is so pretty. Love that you kept everything else minimal to bring out the color and print of the blouse.. And so true about flats..I have to be very picky about wear flats because many of them have absolutely no arch support...
    www.willfullyelegant.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. that blouse is gorgeous! very flattering.

    ReplyDelete