Friday, October 17, 2014

A Weekend in Toronto: Day 2




I'm still savoring the sweet memories from our trip this past weekend. The second day in Toronto was our favorite and most of the day wasn't even spent in the city itself! I was still pretty tired on the first day due to pre-exam sleep deprivation. 

After a good night's sleep we headed to Toronto Island via ferry. I would strongly recommend visiting the island while in Toronto. The views of the city are absolutely perfect - a gorgeous skyline and blue as far as the eye can see!



Traveling as a couple, one of the constant struggles is the inability to get pictures together. The only one we have from this trip is unfortunately this one. Leave it to me to ask the non-English-speaking family using an iPhone camera to take our picture. I couldn't have chosen the other couple with a DSLR camera - that would have been too logical for my post-exam brain. 






Once on the island you can walk, bike, or kayak - whatever your preferred mode of exploring. We chose to walk and covered most of the island in about four hours. The weather was only a bit chilly, nothing that a light coat couldn't handle. 

There are three different beaches on the island - one of which is clothing optional. We didn't stop here, but I doubt there were too many people braving the cold water and breezes anyways! On the boardwalk that connects Centre Island to Ward's Island you're surrounded by water and the opposite shore of Lake Ontario isn't visible, making it feel like you're at the ocean. 




 There's also a little farm on  Centre Island with animals to visit - only a few are accessible to pet. Our favorite was the resident goat who we discovered had a taste for the maple leaves that had fallen from the trees. Spencer got a video of him gobbling up the leaves and ramming the fence with his horns demanding more. 

After visiting the animals, we stopped for lunch at the Carousel Cafe. We were lucky to catch them on their last day of business for the season because their food was delicious and the prices reasonable. We sat out on the patio and soaked up the sunshine before heading Ward's Island to take the ferry back to the city. 

The rest of the day was spent walking through the city and along the waterfront. Walking through Toronto presented the perfect opportunity to wear my fedora which doesn't get nearly enough use because it's hard to find places to wear it. I was surprised to see lots of other women wearing fedoras and other hats since I rarely see that where we live. I'm assuming its the combination of European influence and European tourists themselves. Either way, I didn't feel out of place!









We were sad to have to leave so soon, but since this was a spontaneous trip I felt lucky to have gotten the time away. I can't think of a better way to refresh and relax following a killer exam!   

No comments:

Post a Comment