This post is the result of having a super unproductive day this past Wednesday. I find it difficult to motivate myself to study efficiently during the two weeks following a unit exam. Sometimes it feels like I need that pressure of an approaching test or project due date to motivate me. It's a constant internal struggle post-exam, but I've found a few things that help me when I'm really struggling to get back into the grind.
Get Back into a Normal Sleep Schedule
This unit, we've been learning about how important it is to have a regular sleep schedule - one where you go to bed at the same time and wake up at the same time every day. If you're anything like me (or just about any other med/graduate/college student), a sleep schedule is pretty laughable. Pre-exam I'm putting in long hours studying late into the evening and post-exam I'm focused on catching up on sleep. Since honestly it's just not always possible to go to bed at the same time every night, I just try to be as consistent as possible, while also being willing to adjust as needed. The magic number for me seems to be 7 hours, but I can get along well on 5 or 6 if need be. I try to get the 7 hours I need to feel my absolute best, but will frequently get less. I find that when I'm as consistent as possible, I have much more energy and am more productive.
Plan Out the Next Day the Night Before
This is so crucial for me. If I take an extra 15 minutes to plan out my study schedule for the following day it gives me a realistic picture of what I have to accomplish the following day. This motivates me to get myself up early and get a bit of studying in before classes. In addition to my study schedule, I plan out my outfit for the next day, lunch (if classes go past 1), and get everything packed that I'll need for that day. I like to make sure I have everything I need for any meetings, a change of clothes to work out in, and any other things I may need like my white coat or stethoscope. This works so much better than scrambling around in the morning trying to get out the door on time.
Give Yourself Some Catch-Up Time
I'm naturally pretty bad at estimating how long something will take. Be it that meeting that I plan on going 30 minutes that turns into an hour or that case study that takes longer than the last two because of all the freaking drug names I have to look up, I'm always underestimating the time each task will take. I've come to accept this and combat it by adding in an hour to an hour and a half of wiggle room into my routine. And I almost always need it, but even if I don't it's great to know it's there. It's also a good way to account for those unexpected phone calls from...ahem... a little sister who's taking the same genetic course that I took only two short years ago. I like that it gives me time for not only extra work I may have, but time to devote to my relationships with people I care about.
I hope you find these tips helpful and have a wonderful, productive Monday!
ooooooh, is that the new robbins book? Mine is blue, but I did just get the new Robbins review question book and it's the same grey as your book is.
ReplyDelete#nerds
Hahaha yes! the 9th edition is apparently a lot more readable according to other people in my class who have both and I really like it (well as much as you can like a pathology text!). You'll have to let me know what you think of the new review book because I was going to order it, but I wanted to see how different it is from the old one.
Delete