My white coat ceremony was less than 6 months ago now, but it feels like I've been in medical school for a whole lot longer. It really didn't take me long to adjust to medical student life. Having gone to a undergraduate school with rigorous academics, I don't really feel that medical school came as much of a surprise for me. It's hard, but mostly due to the tons of material you have to memorize, not because its super complex. It takes commitment and some awesome time management skills (if you want to have a life outside of studying). Planning out my days by the hour has become the norm, which may sound crazy, but really frees up time to do fun things that may or may not be medically related. Having interests outside of medicine is CRUCIAL to being happy throughout the whole process. During my years as a pre-med, I used to focus on how wonderful it would be once school was over. I've learned though, that if you're always focused on the future in hopes that you'll be happier, you'll miss all of the incredible experiences along the way. I'm really enjoying the journey, which is one of the many reasons I was inspired to document it.
In the future, Medical Mondays (inspired by Laura of A Little Bit of Lacquer) will be used to share any advice I have on general study tips, work-life balance, preparing for that little test called USMLE Step 1, residency prep, professional style, clinical experiences, volunteering and some of the big goals that I'm fiercely passionate about related to social justice, compassionate care, and serving the under-served. The rest of the week I'll share the pretty things in my life like the clothes I wear, the places I see, and the projects I do. Hope you enjoy and always feel free to ask questions or make suggestions! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment